It's no secret, when winter is here we all first enjoy it and then right away figuring out ways to get warmer and stop enjoying the cold.
Today instead of layering up for a breezy chill walk, we decided to get warm under our linen blanket with all things higgle and a cup of fresh mulled wine, or how europeans call it "gluhwien".
WATCH US MAKING IT :)))
Here is what you need to make your own gluhwein / mulled wine ingredients:
- 1/2 medium orange
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup turbinado or granulated sugar
- 20 whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 whole star anise
- 1 (750-milliliter) bottle dry red wine
- Rum or amaretto, for serving (optional)
And a couple of easy steps:
- Using a vegetable peeler, remove the zest from the orange in wide strips, taking care to avoid the white pith; set aside. Juice the orange and set the juice aside.
- Combine the water and sugar in a large, nonreactive saucepan and boil until the sugar has completely dissolved. Reduce the heat and add the cloves, cinnamon, star anise, orange zest, and orange juice. Simmer until a fragrant syrup forms, about 1 minute.
- Reduce the heat further and add the wine. Let it barely simmer for at least 20 minutes but up to a few hours. Keep an eye out so that it doesn't reach a full simmer.
- Strain and serve in small mugs, adding a shot of rum or amaretto and garnishing with the orange peel and star anise if desired.
Original recipe is from thekitchn.com